Chasing Away Childhood Cancer

Chase Towne’s Story

Our son was the definition of a happy 8 month old baby. He was growing, crawling and pulling up on things. On April 8 2009, He was diagnosed with an ear infection at the pediatrician’s office. He was treated with Amoxcillin for a week. At the end of the week, we noticed he was not better and had quit crawling or pulling up. Friday the 16th of April, Christine noticed that he had pain in his right hip. Saturday the 17th, Christine took Chase to the pediatrician and after an exam, the doctor sent them to MUSC ER for further investigation. After 8hrs in the ER, Chase was admitted to MUSC. By Sunday morning the decision was made to operate on his hip to rule out a septic hip. He went through surgery fine; however the findings were still not conclusive that this was the cause of the fever and pain. Sunday midday, a resident was in checking on Chase and noticed a lump in his abdomen. An ultrasound was ordered and done Sunday afternoon where they found a mass in his abdomen. A CT was ordered and preformed at 2:30 in the morning. Monday April 20th 2009, the doctors came in and informed us our baby boy had a tumor in his abdomen the size of a softball, spots on his liver, kidney, spine and two tumors in his skull. It was Stage IV Neuroblastoma Cancer. Chase was given less than a 30% of survival. Here is where Chase’s fight for his life begins.

Over the next 18 months, Chase received 11 rounds of chemotherapy, 5 major surgeries, stem cell retrieval, over 100 days in the hospital, and many days in the PICU. There were many, many ups and downs during this process. While going through chemotherapy Chase had a bout with a bacterial infection, called C-DIFF. This added to the anxiety and extended his hospital stays.

On May 27th 2011, Chase had a set of scans that came back clean. Since this time, he has had two more sets of scans that showed No Evidence of Disease (NED). Chase’s Journey is not over. He will have scans and tests done regularly to keep an eye on things. We thank God daily for these positive results and pray they will keep coming.